Do you know someone, young or old, who:
- has a hard time finding the right words and forming and speaking in clear sentences?
- struggles to understand what another person says?
- gets distracted easily and can’t maintain focus or attention?
- has difficulty learning how to read or write?
- is chronically late, disorganized and inefficient with everyday tasks?
- would benefit from more cognitive stimulation?
- Is socially isolated?
My mission is to help individuals with speech, language and cognitive disabilities and disorders as well as people looking for new engaging ways to motivate underperforming students or isolated individuals to overcome hurdles, speed up their progress toward goals and thrive with an improved quality of life.
Over the past 30+ years in my career as a speech-language pathologist, I’ve developed and honed a variety of techniques designed to address many types of communicative, literacy and cognitive needs. I do my best to help individuals with and without a formal diagnosis.
You may want to:
- help your preschooler maximize learning and social engagement during screen time with an iPad,
- empower your middle or high school student to be as efficient as possible when studying, taking notes, reading for class or writing papers,
- explore a more engaging approach to attract a student with untapped potential,
- improve your own use of technology if you missed out on the rapidly changing tech world surrounding us, or
- help someone who is isolated from others due to advanced age or physical or cognitive impairment make life easier and more intellectually stimulating.
When you’re drowning in the red tape and cutbacks of the education and healthcare systems, finding or providing support to those who need help can be incredibly frustrating, expensive, and stressful. How can you know what to do if you may not realize what options, features and apps exists and what resources are available to learn from others who are in similar situations? Fortunately, there are solutions that can help you learn how to take advantage of affordable technologies that can help compensate as well as improve weaker skills and capitalize on areas of strength to improve day to day tasks. New communication technologies, powerful features already included in our computers, tablets and phones , and speech therapy apps allowing for engaging practice at home with online skilled support is becoming more mainstream and affordable to individuals. Still, with all of the options and variety of assistive technology features and the vast amount of information online, it can be hard to figure it all out and implement effective strategies.
Although technology can provide effective solutions, it can also come with its own headaches as well. When you go online to look for information, you’ll find dozens of pages promising “the best speech therapy apps” or blogs promoting the latest and greatest technologies for speech and language therapy. Unfortunately, many of these pages can provide less than reputable results that come from biased sources. After all, how can you be sure that a company didn’t just pay these sites for a mention or good review of their device? It can also be frightening to increase screen time when we all hear about the potential negative consequences.
That’s why people come to me. I’ve built my reputation offering private speech therapy for adults and children, helping people find affordable tech-savvy solutions to improve their communication and cognitive skills for over 30 years! I’ve done the research, tried hundreds of “The Best Apps,” explored the latest features on Macs, PCs, iPhones, iPads, and Android phones and tablets. I’ve spent many hours getting to know the worlds of Google and Microsoft as well as special education products to support communication, literacy and learning. I don’t accept payment from product developers or vendors. My suggestions to you can’t be bought. I am only biased from my experiences helping others who have been in your situation.
With my experience, I can save you the time, money, and effort that it would take you to research, select, and learn to use these technology on your own. I can show you evidence and research supported approaches to speech therapy, with an emphasis on achieving meaningful outcomes. By using these recommended apps, software, devices, and helpful resources, you will be able to minimize your learning curve and have you using these tools like a pro in no time!
I hope that you’ll contact me for a free initial phone consultation, take a look at some of my online video mini-courses, or register for one or more therapy/training sessions either locally or online. Together, we can move forward with confidence as we explore exciting techniques, strategies, and systems to achieve success.
TWIST for Parents
Parents of children who have developmental and acquired communication and cognitive challenges often want to know more about what they can do to help their child maximize his or her potential. This exciting short-term program provides families with information they need to enhance and augment educational, vocational and rehabilitation programs. It offers parents and other caregivers many resources which are available to help children tackle challenges head on and jump-start efforts to improve skills in the areas of speaking, understanding, reading, writing, thinking and learning. There are several packages from which to choose to accommodate different needs and budgets. Contact Joan Green to learn more.
Learn to use these technology tools to assist with:
- Executive Functioning Skills–
- attention and focus
- ability to prioritize
- time management and organization- calendars, task lists and reminder systems
- Reading comprehension
- Auditory comprehension and processing
- Written expression
- Verbal expression
Assistive technology tools may include but are not limited to the use of:
- The most helpful features already included on your Google, Apple and Microsoft devices
- Mobile Apps and specialized as well as mainstream software
- Devices such as recording pens, eBook readers and other communication and educational products
- Accessibility and safety features already included on many devices and products
Helpful software and app features may include:
- speech to text (student speaks and text appears on the screen)
- word prediction (suggested words are shown as the student types)
- spelling and grammar (powerful programs help teach spelling and grammar skills and correct errors)
- digital text/text to speech (advanced software reads books, documents and online text aloud)
- recording devices (special pens and apps assist with memory and taking notes – the written material and audio can be synced and saved)
- written organization/webbing (software and apps can be used to help generate and organize writing)
- learning/studying/memory tools (apps, online flashcards and social bookmarking tools can help with learning new material)
- supplemental teaching resources (online programs, apps and videos can be used to provide visual/multisensory information to help learn and reinforce new material.)
TWIST for Preschoolers
Joan Green offers a program using innovative affordable early intervention strategies and solutions. This unique program empowers proactive parents to help their children become more confident and capable as their communication and cognitive skills emerge. Sessions focus on engaging children in a wide variety of enjoyable activities involving play and exploration that can support the growth of communication, social interaction and learning. Children often need some extra help developing the skills needed to express themselves and interacting with the world in which they live. When children receive speech therapy at a young age and have parents and caregivers who have a good understanding about how to stimulate their speech, language, social and cognitive skills they have a greater likelihood of success. In addition to interactions during play and daily routines, Joan Green selects and customizes cutting-edge new technological learning tools that parents can use at home to stimulate better communication skills, reduce frustration, and foster greater success in school readiness skills. Contact Joan Green to learn more.
TWIST for Caregivers
TWIST at a Distance for Caregivers is an intensive individualized short-term distance program to help caregivers learn about resources and strategies to help others who have communication and cognitive challenges. It incorporates the use of phone, email, video conferencing and online application sharing. There are several packages from which to choose to accommodate different needs and budgets. This program is ideal when clients are unable to travel for direct therapy and have a “computer buddy” who will take the lead in the rehabilitation efforts. Save travel expenses and time. Contact Joan Green to learn more.