Get energized by connecting with like-minded advocates!
Calling all SLPs, OTs, audiologists, technology specialists, gerontologists, aging life care managers, activity directors, administrators, teachers, and elder advocates!
>> Do you want to feel more confident and competent in helping older adults use tech?
>> Are you curious about current accessibility features, smart gadgets, and apps that can improve lives?
>> Are you “burned out” and looking to pursue a new direction with your career or volunteer activities?
The digital divide is real. Lack of awareness of how tech can improve life in senior living communities and programs supporting aging-in-place is a significant problem.
Let’s join forces to improve the lives of seniors that are left behind by the rapidly evolving world of technology.
There are amazing solutions using mainstream devices to promote social connection and overcome barriers imposed by challenges with dexterity, vision, hearing, communication, and memory.
I am excited about this unique 5-week experience. Let’s move forward together to learn how to help older adults leverage the benefits of tech.
We will meet on Zoom, connect in a private discussion group, and contribute to a group resource collection.
- At the beginning of each week, a few chapters will become available in the online course. We use a “flipped” approach so that participants review the material before our online session. In the course, there is information to read and videos to watch to set the stage for the topic and promote independent learning.
- Each week the semi-structured Zoom session(s) will review the content so you can see live demonstrations, learn from others in the group and get your questions answered.
- Everyone is encouraged to attend the Zoom sessions (Thursdays at 4:00- 5:30 PM ET) to share perspectives. The recordings will be available to everyone and become part of the course.
- We will collaborate in a private Google Discussion group between sessions.
- There will be additional opportunities for special certifications with various eldertech topics at the conclusion of the 5- week experience.
- The cost to participate in this unique course is $597.00.
Weekly Topics & Schedule
*Subject to change*
Mobile phones, mainstream and specialized, and the many native apps and settings/ features that are helpful for older adults.
Smart assistants, Alexa and Siri, and how they can make life easier and more enjoyable for seniors.
The worlds of Google, Microsoft, and Apple with an eye toward accessibility features to overcome challenges with vision, hearing, reading, writing, memory, speaking, thinking, & organization.
Apps and online programs. We will share our favorites to facilitate social connection and cognitive stimulation.
Top resources for learning more about using personal tech to support older adults- Recorded videos, virtual classes, and 1:1 support.
“I have waited for a long time to find like minded colleagues working with elders. Thank you Joan for putting this together. I think this group has a lot of potential!!”