Get energized by connecting with like-minded advocates!
Calling all SLPs, OTs, audiologists, technology specialists, gerontologists, aging life care managers, activity directors, administrators, teachers, elder advocates and family caregivers!
>> Do you want to feel more confident and competent in helping older adults use tech?
>> Are you curious about current accessibility features, smart gadgets, and apps that can improve lives?
>> Are you “burned out” and looking to pursue a new direction with your career or volunteer activities?
The digital divide is real. Lack of awareness of how tech can improve life in senior living communities and programs supporting aging-in-place is a significant problem.
Let’s join forces to enhance the lives of seniors that are left behind by the rapidly evolving world of technology.
There are amazing solutions using mainstream devices to promote social connection and cognitive stimulation!
It’s a great feeling to help others improve their lives by providing support to help overcome barriers imposed by challenges with dexterity, vision, hearing, communication, and memory. The problem is technology is changing so fast it’s hard to keep up.
That’s what this opportunity is all about! It will help you update your knowledge and skills using helpful technologies many people don’t realize exists.
I am excited about this unique 5-week experience. Let’s move forward together to learn how to help older adults leverage the benefits of tech.
During the FALL 2023 Course, we met on Zoom twice a week. All sessions were recorded.
Here’s what happened:
- New content became available in the online course on Monday morning each week.
- Participants had access to carefully curated information to read and videos to watch to set the stage for the week’s topic and promote independent learning. There were also be helpful digital downloads.
- On Tuesdays, everyone was encouraged to attend the optional Zoom session scheduled for 4:00- 5:30 PM ET. We reviewed the week’s resources, saw some of the tools in action, collaborated and shared perspectives. The recordings were added to the course.
- Optional “Office hours” were provided toward the end of each week at varying days and times to answer questions and dig deeper into the week’s topic.
- We brainstormed effective ways to share new knowledge during group sessions.
- The special rate to participate in this unique course was $297.00. Considering the wide range of topics covered and the vast amount of resources provided, this was an amazing value!
- A limited number of scholarships were available.
Weekly Topics & Schedule
*Subject to change*
Mobile phones, mainstream and specialized, and the many native apps and settings/ features that are helpful for older adults.
Smart assistants, Alexa and Siri, and how they can make life easier and more enjoyable for seniors.
The worlds of Google, Microsoft, and Apple with an eye toward accessibility features to overcome challenges with vision, hearing, reading, writing, memory, speaking, thinking, & organization.
Apps and online programs. We will share our favorites to facilitate social connection and cognitive stimulation.
Safety and security. Top strategies for protecting identity, privacy, health and finances as well as troubleshooting techniques and sources of help when things go wrong.
“I have waited for a long time to find like minded colleagues working with elders. Thank you Joan for putting this together. I think this group has a lot of potential!!”